Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Uh oh - but I got lucky

It’s been awhile since I’ve been out due to bad weather and chores around home, but I set out this morning to try a little predator calling.  I hiked up a long ridge that seems to be getting steeper all the time, but I have a good spot to call from up there.  I got my stand all set up and reached in the side pocket of my back pack for the remote control unit of my electronic call.  I came up empty!  Huh?  I searched the other pockets of the pack with no better luck.  I use a mouth blown call as much as I do electronics, and for the life of me I couldn’t remember where I had used the e-caller last.  I racked my brain and narrowed it down to 1 of 2 possible places, both miles apart.  I still couldn’t be sure which place I had used the call last, and aside from that we have had a lot of rain since then.  I had my doubts if the small electrical unit would still be in working order even if I was lucky enough to find it.  There was one other possibility.  The weather had been colder, and I was sure I had worn a heaver coat on at least one of those stands.  It was possible that I had put the remote unit in the pocket of that coat.  Not my usual routine, but it was possible.

At any rate, that wasn’t helping me now.  I had climbed all the way up this ridge, so I decided to go ahead with the stand and see what developed.  I hung the caller on a low limb of a tree and set it to play one continuous sound, then settled back to watch.  This is all that showed up.

 That’s a Stellar’s blue jay, one of the most frequent visitors to a predator call.  Actually there were several of them, but this is the only one that sat still in one place long enough to shoot a few seconds of video.  The sound you hear coming from the electronic call is that of an injured woodpecker.  It’s a good sound to play for fox and bobcat, but jays will come to almost anything.

After walking back to the truck I ran Bear up the road for a little exercise, then parked at a nice spot to eat lunch.  The missing remote for the e-caller was still bothering me, so I decided to call it a day and headed for home.  When I walked in the house the first thing I did was get my heavy coat out of the closet and go through the pockets.  There was the remote, tucked into the inside pocket.  I put it back in the side pocket of my back pack where it should have been all the time!


Momlady said...

Glad you found it. Have missed seeing you here. Guess you must be busy. Or you only write when you know you have something to say (a good thing). Better luck next time with the caller.

Bob Mc said...

That pretty much sums it up Momlady. Not much going on here lately, and I don't post much unless I have something that I think might be of interest to others in the way of a story, photos, or video. Thanks for stopping by.