Sunday, September 30, 2007

Bear hunt!

I was expecting a friend to stop by this morning, so when the 2 indoor dogs started telling me that something was going on outside I thought that he had pulled up in the driveway. I opened the front door expecting to see Jim on his way in, but no one was there. Instead I could hear someone talking just down the road, and saw a pickup parked there. I walked out into the road for a better look, and one of the fellows walked over to tell me what was going on.

Turned out to be a fellow who lives up on the hill across the road from my place. While he was eating breakfast this morning he happened to glance out the window and saw a bear busy at its own breakfast, raiding his garbage can. He told me that the bear had been a regular garbage raider at several of the houses on the other side of the hill, so this fellow promptly picked up a 30/06 and shot it, but didn’t kill it. The bear made a run for it on my side of the hill with my neighbor and a buddy of his in hot pursuit. It treed in a big pine tree right on the side of the County road next to my place. My neighbor assured me that he had a bear tag, and since bear season was open would I mind if he shot it? No, of course I didn’t mind; and since he had already wounded it I certainly hoped he would shoot it. Don’t need a wounded bear around here! He backed off for a good view, put a bullet in bruin’s head, and dropped it right on the side of the road. About a 150 pound bear, just the right size for eating, but I doubt I would want any meat from a garbage raider. Nice hide though, in good shape and coal black.

No comments: