Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Winter, February 2007


Winter has come to northern California with a vengeance. Been snowing for several days now. The white stuff is over the knees at my house, and I have no idea how deep it is in the mountains. It will be awhile until I can get a pickup off a plowed road, let alone get around much on a horse.

It takes at least twice as long as usual to do normal every day chores. Shoveling snow to get to the hay so I can feed the horse. I scatter scratch feed under the eves of my house where the ground is bare for the chickens and whatever else shows up. The wild birds have a tough time of it, and they appreciate the handout. Mostly Oregon Juncos, but also Stellar and Scrub Blue Jays, Spotted Towhee, and Varied Thrush.

I back the truck out of my driveway at least a couple of times a day to make ruts in the snow. Took a little drive down the County Road today just to look around. Saw where someone’s hay shed had collapsed under the load. I thought for awhile that we were going to have a mild winter, but right now it looks like spring is a long way off.

No comments: